Pages

Monday, May 4, 2015

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi




I love Goodreads, and keep a record of all my books there--those I've read or want to read. I also look at several reviews before starting a new book. So basically, what I was saying to myself while reading this book  is "why, why, why didn't I believe all of the reviews with one star."
I should have put out a restraining order that this book should not come within a thousand miles of me, but what I actually did was read it. I did so kicking and screaming the whole way, because I hate to quit once I've started.
Juliette is in an insane asylum, and all she really has is a notebook she writes in and a view from a window. She crosses out almost everything she writes, and rewrites it a different way. At first, I found compelling, but after I lost interest in her completely, I found it annoying.
This book is a silly love story in a future world that is dying, and it drags on and on. After a while I was hoping a comet the size of the moon would smash into the earth and put me them out of their misery.
Suddenly, when I was about to get into a fetal position and cry "make it stop," the ending became very interesting. She meets more people that have mutant powers (oh I should have added that she can kill you if she touches you) but just when there was such promise--it was over, and  a series of books hold the rest of the story.
I'm torn whether I should read book two, but one thing I know for sure is that I'm going to look at the reviews again, and this time I will believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment