Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Feeling Of Power by Isaac Asimov

I'm actually cheating a little bit on this review since this is not a book but a short story.
I started my love of books in middle school due to feelings of not fitting in and loneliness.
One author stands out in my mind and that is Isaac Asimov. The school library had several of his books containing short stories, and I fell in love with science fiction and reading for the rest of my life.
Though Asimov and I would never agree on views of Christianity or politics--I believe we could agree to disagree.

The Feeling Of Power is a story I read when I was young, and I've always wanted to read it again. The way computers are doing everything for us--this book has become even more believable, and very insightful of Asimov since he wrote it in 1951.

The story is set in the future, and Myron Aub (I love that name) has learned basic math--no one knows how to do this since computers compute numbers for everyone. Before long the military get their hands on it and of course nothing good will come of that.
Poor Aub, he just wanted to help mankind, but instead the military is going to use the formulas in a war to kill more beings.

The story ends on a sad note, but you should read it to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment