Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie




This review may have frequent spoilers, so please be cautious in reading if you want to be surprised by who the murderer is.

This is not one of my favorite books by Christie, but still it's quite interesting.

This is a reread for me, and I was quite surprised how often the clues actually pointed to the murderer, yet I didn't see it during the first read.

One trick she uses to throw us off is that the entire story is told by a journal written by the doctor of the village. He helps Poirot a great deal, so I was thrown off that it could ever be him, especially since Poirot always tells the doctor that he reminds him of his dear Hastings. 

I'm always shocked that characters that I trust or even love are so evil, or can turn evil under the correct circumstances. I always want there to be good in people, but that's not the truth in fiction or reality.

The old staging of all the people who could be involved in a murder is so cliche.


The detective walks around the room, accusing every, and then to their relief, giving the reason that it could be them, but they are safe.
Finally, the real perp tries to run away, but there is police at all the exits, and then the true evil, lurking inside, is revealed.
This book didn't end that way, since after the group of accused leave, Poirot allows the murderer to leave for his home and commit suicide to save the reputation of his sister in such a small community. 
This would not be allowed today--suicide must not have been such a severe action during that time as it is currently.

I read countless zombie books so that a slow read such as this, is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment